If you are visiting Prague, you will definitely be take a tour of the Tyn Church, the real name of which is Church of Our Lady before Tyn. The two spires of this powerful looking Gothic church (with a Baroque interior) dominate the skyline of Prague and can be seen from almost anywhere in the city.
.The Tyn Church dominates the old city of Prague and has been the main church since the 14th century. If you look closely at the two spires, you will notice that they are asymmetrical, one being thicker than the other - something which is characteristic of the Gothic architecture of its time and is a representation of both the masculine and feminine sides of the world.
Some Highlights of the Tyn Church ( Source Wikipedia) :
- The northern portal is a wonderful example of Gothic sculpture from the Parler workshop, with a relief depicting the Crucifixion. The main entrance is located on the church's western face, through a narrow passage between the houses in front of the church.
- The early baroque altarpiece has paintings by Karel Škréta from around 1649.
- The oldest pipe organ in Prague stands inside this church. The organ was built in 1673 by Heinrich Mundt and is one of the most representative 17th-century organs in Europe.
- The great Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, who worked for Emperor Rudolph II, was buried in the church in 1601. His beautiful marble tomb slab is located inside.
- The church appears in the start of the Revolution Films movie xXx